Sunday 16 March 2014

Into the Lions' Den

Ah! The pain and anguish of cutting out coffee
The Old Testament Book of Daniel is best known for the story of Daniel in the lions’ den, but there’s a lot about dieting too, and it’s rather interesting.

Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.  

And Melzar, the prince of the eunuchs, said unto Daniel, “I fear my lord the king, who hath appointed your meat and your drink: for why should he see your faces worse liking than the children which are of your sort?” 

Then said Daniel to Melzar “Prove thy servants, I beseech thee, ten days; and let them give us pulses to eat, and water to drink.  Then let our countenances be looked upon before thee, and the countenance of the children that eat of the portion of the king's meat: and as thou seest, deal with thy servants.”

At the end of ten days, their countenances appeared fairer and fatter in flesh than all the children which did eat the portion of the king's meat. Thus Melzar took away the portion of their meat, and the wine that they should drink, and gave them pulses.

Living without meat, fish, dairy, eggs or any processed food sounded an interesting challenge, and a way of getting into training before my Ayurvedic Panchakarma detox in Kerala and it coincides nicely with Lent. Consequently, since Ash Wednesday, I have not defiled myself with meat nor with wine (nor any other alcohol, nor eggs, nor leavened breads, nor dairy products, nor any processed foods.) The list goes on, but I won’t bore you.....but imagine!  It could be the Essex dream - a diet of chips, chips and more chips.

No tea or coffee results in initial headaches, and after three days I had very little energy, but since them I have been full of beans in more ways than one.

And I need all the drive and enthusiasm I can muster if I am to finish the packing, the cleaning, the laundry, the ironing and remember everything I need while I am away.

I must share with you all a vote of thanks to the friend who wrote to tell me I would be able to buy soap in India. That was really helpful; imagine if I had arrived soapless! 

I believe they have shampoo as well. With more millionaires than Europe, India probably has most things.

No comments:

Post a Comment